Search for content, post, videos

How Domestic Recycling Works


Recycling is the process through which re-use of packaging materials (glass, paper, plastic, aluminum, tinplate) is achieved and reintroduced into the production cycle.

Or in other words, how one contributes, in simple ways, to the improvement of the living conditions of the whole world! This is something that everyone owes -to themselves and others- to adopt as lifestyle. But how is proper recycling accomplished?

What mistakes must be avoided so that our good intention and deed are not lost?


1.Aluminum packages, e.g. refreshments, beers, etc.
2.Tinplate packaging from evaporated milk, canned tomato paste etc.
3.Packaging made of plastic, like bottles and containers of water, soft drinks, yogurt, butter, oil, detergents, cleaning products, shampoos, foam baths, cling film, toothpaste, deodorants, plastic bags and so on.

4.Glass packaging e.g. bottles and jars, juices, soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, food etc.
5.Packages of paper & paper boxes, e.g. from electrical appliances, milk, juices, cereals, pizza, biscuits, sugar, detergents, paper bags etc.

Do you know that 1.000 kilos of recycled glass save about 12 kilos of oil?

Before you throw anything away into the special blue buckets, you must make sure that:

1.Your packages are empty from food and liquids. A quick rinse is enough to remove food residue (such as oil, milk, etc.).

2.You have removed the lids from the glass bottles and jars that you recycle.

3.When you throw the recyclable packages in the bins, you have removed them from the bag and did not put them together.

5.When you recycle paper that is sewn together, you have removed the stapler.

6.After opening the recycling bin, you have closed it afterward, as there is a risk of rain that destroys some packaging.


Do you know that 1.000 kilos of recycled paper save about 130-170 kilos of oil?

Greece ranks among the last European countries in terms of solid waste recovery, ie recycling of waste. In particular, the recovery rate is only 20%, with the remaining 80% of the garbage is land filled (CET), while, at the same time, in other European countries the recovery rate is over 70%.


Do you know that with the electricity needed to make 1 aluminum box you can: listen to the radio for 4 hours, light up a 60 / Watt lamp for 5 hours, operate your refrigerator for 4 hours?

We do not forget to impart the good habit of recycling to our relations and especially to children!

Check out  Zero Waste Europe , where you can have a full inside view on recycling legislations & visions for the past and for the future.

Following is an educational video about How Recycling Works!

Check out on more articles on relative eco-friendly readings here

Decoding the Tiny Triangle

Check WAKEUPCUT on Instagram and  Facebook page and share your trip to such articles with your friends. The more people work more creatively and with an environmentally friendly mood, the greater the change can be, from small, everyday things 🙂

Take good care of yourselves and precious others!

Photography Giorgos Anastoulis